Saturday, May 17, 2008

Dorie Greenspan Is In My House!




Baking has invaded my kitchen, and my life.

Joy the Baker has turned me into a cake-mad lunatic, and I just can't help it. Those Lemon Whoopie Pies were so amazing, I think they did something to my brain chemistry. I've never been good at baking cakes--way too much faffing about with measures, ingredient temperatures, and the fluffiness of your mix. Cookies and pies are a lot less scientific, and besides, I like 'em a lot better anyways.

I went to the library and checked out Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours," and spent the next day or so deciding what to make. Dorie is an expert dessert-maker who's written a bunch of award-winning books, and no wonder, her treats look so amazing I just couldn't figure out what to bake first.
I decided on these Chocolate Chunkers. These are insane. There are five, FIVE different kinds of chocolate in them. In fact, these cookies are about 80% chocolate. They do call for flour--a whopping 1/3 cup. They also have nuts and raisins in them.
Frankly, they were a bit too chocolatey, even for me. Next time I make them I'll use a bit less, and I'll make sure I add salted peanuts instead of the toasted walnuts I used here. Still, these are truly fantastic, and not for the faint of heart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried this recipe yet. Frankly, I think it looks deadly! But I must say, I'm glad I turned you into a baking maniac... there are much worse things to be a maniac about ;) Bake on! and on... and on... !
xoxxo- Joy the Baker