Thursday, June 5, 2008

Great Summer Desserts Pt. 1


We love dessert.

It runs in the family. My dziadek (my Polish grandfather) was a big fan of puddings. That love was passed on to my mum, who eats some kind of dessert every night. I do like something sweet after my evening meal, whether it's a full-blown cakey/icy sweet or a lovely piece of fruit.

Now, my oldest son always expects something for dessert after his dinner. It' usually fresh fruit, since I don't want him to have the awful dental problems that have plagued me all my life (thanks to all those gummy bears and chocolate I've eaten), but during the summer, and especially at the weekends, I do like to cook up a good old-fashioned dessert course.

I usually put more effort into this last part of our meal than I do the main course. And when the summer fruits start coming in (read: berries!) it's really hard for me to resist.

Over the past couple of weekends I've made my favorite dessert, strawberry shortcake, and we grilled up some pineapple and ate it with caramel sauce and vanilla cream.

Growing up in Scotland, I'd never had strawberry shortcake until I moved to the U.S. Now I'm making up for lost time; I think I make it a couple of times a week. Anyway, I follow the recipe from the back of the Bisquick box--it's really awesome--but I whip up some cream with a little sugar and vanilla extract instead of using store-bought whipped topping (an Americanism I just can't endorse, sorry!). It turns out beautifully, and we always keep the leftover biscuits, wrapped in foil, for breakfast the next morning.

The grilled pineapple was Andrew's idea and again, I whipped up some cream with sugar and vanilla to have with it. The caramel sauce was way too solid, but it had some rum in it so it tasted awfully good. Next time, we'd make a thinner sauce or have the pineapple with some good vanilla ice-cream instead.

No comments: